Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Mercenary

I walked across far and wide throughout the Lands of Purity
Looking for this entity called the Love of Loyalty
I never understood how men would die for their country
Such loyalty to an entity even to the point of disability

As I crossed the desert sand dunes
Where nothing was in sight except the wind whistling ghastly tunes
I covered my face save my weary eyes
As I trudged through the treacherous borders of my deadly demise

"Halt!  Who goes there?"
I look up to see a large, long-haired bear
"Who are you to halt me?" replied I as I brandished my sharpened scimitar
"You speak to the Guardian of the Realm of the Lands of Purity.  The Realm ends here and in order to pass to the next, you must be tested in the Ways of War

You will be challenged to a duel you have never experienced, faced with a foe you have never seen"
"I am a mercenary.  I have killed the likes of all, from far and wide.  I fear no foe nor fiend"
The Guardian grins deceivingly, "Oh, but this is one you have yet to face, my mercenary mortal"
Suddenly the entire dimension of the desert changes and without my freewill I enter a portal

"Tell me mortal, why do you SEEK for what you wish not to SEEK?
You have lived defying the acts of loyalty, protecting yourself and mocking the meek.
You have lived a life of murder, betrayal and dishonesty.
Creating havoc upon the Earth to fulfill your selfish life prophesy

Tell me mortal, why do you SEEK for what you wish not to SEEK?
You have lived defying trust and friendship, are you not at betrayal's peak?
You have lived a life defiling women to your pleasure to the point their silenced screams is all you hear
Tell me mortal, are you at the point where YOU is what you fear?"

I look around to see where the voice is coming from, but I see none but myself and darkness
I begin to panic as my once-trusted sword hand trembles, betrays me and I am left in a state of cowardice
The first time since I was brought to the world of mortals, I begin to break into tears of repentance
I then begin my pitiful, yet powerful penance

"Tell me mortal, have you understood the importance of loyalty?
Tell me mortal, do you FEEL what you have never FELT before during your times of cruelty?
Tell me mortal, do you realize the importance of swearing yourself to protect the weak?
Tell me mortal, have you FOUND what you SEEK?"

"Yes, yes, I have.  I now understand the importance of loyalty," I swore as I shed my tears away.
"To be loyal to humanity, to be a mercenary I say, nay.
I pledge allegiance to humanity for as long as I stand."
And that my friends is how we as modern mercenaries should become loyal to Mother Earth's land.

No comments:

Post a Comment